.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....
Deborah Goad
It was clear skies for the ribbon cutting ceremony Friday, June 8, at the newly renovated Blue Springs Park in Levy County. Pictured, from left: County Coordinator Wilbur Dean; County Commissioner Mike Joyner; Parks director Matt Wheldon; Hugh Thomas, of Suwannee River Water Management District; and County Commissioners John Meeks, Rock and Lilly Rooks.
Renovated Blue Springs Park reopens in time for summer

After months of renovation work, Blue Springs in Bronson is once again open for swimming and picnicking.

Ten pavilions, numerous new concrete tables and benches and freshly painted restrooms with newly built changing rooms and a paved parking lot have all been added to enhance Blue Springs Park.

The park, a once privately owned spring, was sold to the Board of Public Instruction of Levy County back in early 1950 for a nominal fee of one dollar. Since the 1950s, between the School Board, the town of Bronson and Levy County, Blue Springs has changed hands several times. Levy County now owns Blue Springs Park and Little Blue Springs.

Blue Springs is a second magnitude spring, meaning water flows from the aquifer to the surface at a discharge rate of 280 to 2800 liters or 10 to 100 cubic feet of water per second. Blue Springs discharges to the southwest down a short run and into the Waccasassa River, which flows south to the Gulf of Mexico. Florida springs range from 69 to 97 degrees, and Blue Springs seems to maintain an average of 72 degrees, according to Matt Weldon, director of Levy County Parks.