- Special Sections
- Public Notices
November promises to be a monster month for job seekers in Citrus, Levy and Marion counties with Workforce Connection offering nearly 80 free workshops and recruiting events, including a Monster.com Power Seeker Workshop to help college and VoTech students put the “hire” in “higher education” and a Fall Career Fair featuring 17 local employers.
In addition, the calendar features open resume labs, computer basics, and workshops designed to help job seekers sharpen interview skills and develop job-search strategies as well as programs focusing on the needs of military veterans re-entering the civilian labor force.
New this month is a targeted resume workshop which helps job seekers tailor their resume on a job-specific basis to highlight their unique skills and fit for a position of interest.
“We have added nearly 30 more workshops to this month’s calendar in addition to an array of exciting training and recruiting events,” said Workforce Connection CEO Rusty Skinner. “There really is something for everyone at every skill level and at locations throughout our region.”
There is no charge to attend any of the programs, but participants must be fully registered with Workforce Connection through the Employ Florida Marketplace (EFM) at www.EmployFlorida.com, and additional workshop registration may also be required.
Complete program and registration information is available at Workforce Connection’s Calendar of Events at www.clmworkforce.com. The following programs take place at Workforce Connection’s one-stop resource centers in Chiefland, Inverness and Ocala, as well as at the College of Central Florida’s (CF) Ocala and Citrus County campuses and various community locations:
• Beyond Barriers: Pathways to Employment is for those whose background issues create a barrier to finding a job. The workshops take place on Nov. 9 and Nov. 30 at 1:30 p.m. in Ocala.
• Caregiver Services Recruiting Event — Caregiver Services is hiring Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Registered Nurses (RNs), Home Health Aides and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) on Thursday, Nov. 8, from noon to 4 p.m. at CF’s University Center (building 41, room 112), in Ocala. Apply in person; no appointment necessary. For information, call 800-434-JOBS, ext. 1145.
• Computer Basics is designed for those new to technology or with entry-level computer skills. Sessions are set for Tuesday, Nov. 6, and Tuesday,Nov. 20, at 3:30 p.m. in Chiefland
• “Nail that Interview” workshops are Wednesday, Nov. 14, and Wednesday, Nov. 28, at 8:15 a.m. in Chiefland.
• The Fall Career Fair offers the perfect opportunity for any job seeker to meet area employers, explore career options, learn about Workforce Connection services and register with Employ Florida. The career fair is Thursday, Nov. 15, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CF’s Learning and Conference Center in Lecanto.
• The Mobile Resource Unit (MRU) provides job seeker services and resources every Monday at 10:30 a.m. at the Bronson Library and Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. at the Williston Library. The MRU is available the second Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Town Hall in Inglis, and the third Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Cedar Key Library.
• Monster.com Power Seeker Workshop: “The Best You: On Paper, Online and In Person” is Tuesday, Nov. 13, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the College of Central Florida Klein Conference Center. It is designed to help any postsecondary student stand out from the crowd in today’s tough labor market.
• “Navigating the Career Fair” is Monday, Nov. 5, from 2-4 p.m. and targets the special needs of postsecondary students and focuses on helping prepare for the Fall Career Fair as well as other recruiting events.
• “Navigating the New World of Work,” a two-day workshop, is offered Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 6-7, and Tuesdayand Wednesday, Nov. 20-21, at 8:15 a.m. in Chiefland. The workshops cover how to identify abilities and transferable skills, job search strategies/targeted resume development, interviewing skills/follow up and how to work effectively with their own Workforce Connection placement specialist.
• Open Resume Labs are held in Ocala, every Monday through Friday at 9 a.m. and also at 2 p.m. on Mondays, except Nov. 12, 22 and 23 when all centers are closed for the holidays. Drop-ins are welcome and no additional registration is required but space is limited.
Workforce Connection’s one-stop resource centers are located in Citrus County at 1103 E. Inverness Blvd., in Inverness; in Levy County at 109 N.W. Third Ave., in Chiefland, and in Marion County at 2703 NE 14th St., in Ocala. To sign up for any of the workshops, call 352-291-9552 or 800-434-JOBS, ext. 1410 or register online at www.timecenter.com/wcworkshops.