.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Relay for Life is Friday

-A A +A
By Carolyn Risner

Hundreds of people will come to Chiefland High School's football stadium Friday night to celebrate life and the culmination of a year of fund-raising for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.

Opening ceremonies for the 14th Annual Relay begin at 6 p.m.with the music of T. J. Brown.

Cancer survivors from the tri-county area will take the first lap that kicks off a night of walking, remembering and general all-around fun.

A variety of entertainment is scheduled throughout the evening to accompany the carnival-based theme of this year's Relay.

Families are encouraged to bring the entire clan and spend an evening with their hometown's true heroes. There will be food vendors and games, for the young and old alike.

At dusk luminaria will be lit to memorialize or honor those who have contracted cancer.

Luminaria donations will be accepted that evening, and the name of the person it honors will be placed on it.

Relay teams that have spent the last year selling cakes, hosting dinners and begging friends for donations will camp onsite and walk throughout the night in a spirit of community.

The Relay for Life is the Cancer Society's signature fund-raiser and this year more than 3.5 million people are expected to participate.

Of the monies raised, only about 7 percent goes toward administration costs with the remaining 93 percent geared toward research, prevention, patient support, detection, treatment and fund-raising.'