Gruesome home invasion sends Chiefland man to hospital

-A A +A
By Mark Scohier, Staff writer

Not even Taser darts were enough to control the crazed fury of 41-year-old Michael Jonathan Beree after a home invasion that sent a Chiefland man to the hospital, police say.
Beree, of Chiefland, was spotted running through the city by police after they responded to a 911 call from a Chiefland couple a little after 10 p.m., Nov 24.
Beree, according to witness statements in a CPD report, had broken into the the home and started attacking the husband, who had been sitting in a chair.
At first, the intruder repeatedly struck the husband in the face with his fists, despite pleas for him to stop. Beree then began hitting the husband with an iron fire poker, stopping only after it had broken.
The wife tried to stop the attack but was struck in the face by Beree, according to the report. She then ran to call the police.
At some point, Beree, a man neither of the couple claimed to have known prior to the attack, tackled the husband in the kitchen, mounted him and began stabbing him with the broken shard of a bottle. The attack ceased when Beree heard police arrive, and then he bolted out the back door.
Police caught up to him after a block-long chase through Chiefland. An officer ordered him to stop multiple times, but Beree didn't comply and was promptly Tasered.
Beree then acted like he was going to cooperate, according to the report, but then he grabbed one of the officer's legs and attempted to tackle him. The two officers eventually subdued Beree and placed him under arrest.
"Them in Cedar Key are going to kill me!" is something the man reportedly told police after he was in custody. Beree, according to the report, told police he was looking for a gun to kill "him."
Beree was later taken to the Levy County Jail. He has been charged with felony attempted murder, aggravated battery, battery causing bodily harm, resisting an officer with violence, battery on an officer and burglary of an occupied dwelling. His bond was set at $3, 950,000.
The husband was transported to Shands Hospital for treatment.