.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Expect fireworks at first planning board meeting in months

-A A +A

Mining application drawing opposition in Williston area

By Lou Elliott Jones, Editor

An application for a permit for a major limerock mining operation close to the intersection of U.S. Highway 41 and County Road 322 in Williston is expected to provide controversy at the May meeting of the Levy County Planning Board.

It is the planning board’s first meeting in several months as applications for permits and special exceptions plummeted with the national economy. The board meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Levy County Courthouse on Court Street in Bronson.

Johannes Vanderwey, who owns 47.98 acres, of the 88.18 acres included in the project site, has applied for conditional approval of a special exception use permit to do major mining on 68.8 acres for the next 20 years.

The operation will include blasting to crack and loosen the rock, crushing to reduce its size, and transportation from the site on a nearby rail and by truck. The application says no water will be pumped at the site and the stone will not be washed at the site.

About 80 percent will go by rail with loading into the rail cars occurring at a rail spur to be built by Vanderwey Limerock Mine. The remaining 20 percent leaving the site by truck.


If you subscribe to the newspaper, you receive FREE access to all the exclusive content of the web site! Simply register to receive uninterrupted access to our award-winning and in-depth local online content!

Renew Current or Past Subscription / Register for Online Subscription

If you currently subscribe or have subscribed in the past to the Chiefland Citizen, then simply find your account number on your mailing label and enter it below.

Click the question mark below to see where your account ID appears on your mailing label.

Newspaper Acct. ID:
info
Street Address:
(exactly as it appears on the label)

If you are a subscriber and you do not know your account ID or don't have a copy of your newspaper available that shows the information on the address label you can click continue below to search for your account.

Special Offer

You have used all your free page views for the month however if you wish to create a FREE limited access account you will be able to view a additional 2 pages per month.




You can also purchase a subscription and have full access to the site. To purchase a subscription simply enter your zipcode below

ZIP Code:

Chiefland Citizen | circulation@chieflandcitizen.com | 352-493-4796
624 W Park Avenue, Chiefland, FL 32626
Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday