Chiefland man is killed as deputies respond to domestic disturbance

-A A +A
By David Davis

Levy County deputies killed a Chiefland man Nov. 16, Thursday, after they responded to domestic disturbance. Three LCSO Patrol Division deputies responded to 7450 NW 110 St. to a domestic disturbance at 8:40 p.m. that ended in the death of 34-year-old Michael Wesley Goodale.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is in charge of the investigation and will not release information until the investigation is concluded.

According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, three deputies responded to the scene and were confronted by an armed male subject. After attempting to subdue Goodale with less lethal weapons, two deputies were forced to discharge their firearms. Goodale, 34, was transported to University of Florida Shands Hospital as a trauma alert, but he did not survive his injuries. 

Two deputies were injured during the encounter. They were treated and released from a local hospital. Pursuant to LCSO policy, the deputies involved in the incident have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation and the State Attorney’s Office review.

Goodale’s mother, Kathy Snow, wrote on Facebook that he did not injure the deputies.

“One tripped in the pond and the other tripped over paver stones. I am very sorry they felt they had to kill him ... he didn’t have a gun it was knives ... he was very tormented. This was a horrific situation,” she stated.

Sheriff Bobby McCallum said he is saddened by these events and extended his condolences to the family affected by this incident. He expressed his appreciation for the other agencies that assisted LCSO during the incident and commended the courage and professionalism exhibited by all of the involved personnel. 

Snow wrote Saturday in a private message that she was not ready to speak, but she doesn’t want misleading things and unverified things printed or spoken on the news by neighbors or people who where not there and do not know the circumstances.

“This was a horrific event that his boys and I had to experience and even I don’t know if things couldn’t have been done differently yet ... so I am quite sure no one else does,” she wrote. “I am very disturbed by things the news people have said on TV.”

She asked why someone Baker Acted three weeks ago would be let go when Meridian in Lake City called me and said he was being diagnosed with severe depression and schizophrenia. They said they were going to keep him an extra day because he wasn’t ready to be released. He had a rehab to get into in two weeks.

“Why couldn’t they keep him until then? Now, three weeks later he is dead. (It) seems like this is a real problem. I am sure he is not the only one desperately needing and asking for help and not getting it.”