.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Bronson Motel unsafe: officials

-A A +A
By Mark Scohier, Staff writer

The Bronson Motel is out of juice, according to comments made by Bronson officials Monday night.

A fire broke out at about 9:30 a.m. Feb. 27, in the office and in part of the attic of the motel. It was put out a few minutes later by firefighters and nobody was hurt, but Bronson officials say it was then discovered that the motel has major electrical issues.

"The power is off there ... and the power will stay off until the power is brought up to code," Bronson Building Inspector Bob Niffenegger said to council members.

And there's not supposed to be anyone living in the motel, he said, adding that long-term residents there were offered a place, free of charge, at a motel in Gainesville.

"But some have turned that down," he said.

The motel, to his knowledge, has never had an adequate fire inspection, Niffenegger said, saying later that an estimate to bring the building up to code was at about $100,000.

Council Member Bruce Greenlee said the fire might have been "a blessing is disguise" because nobody was hurt, yet its happening drew attention to unsafe conditions.

"It's a liability for town," he said.